This was a very important project because I became comfortable operating the manual lathe and mill. I used knurling techniques and threaded the head on with a tap and die. All I started with was a rough rectangle of brass and a rough cylinder of aluminum. I really paid attention to finish at the end making sure to buff rough areas and not leave any sharp corners. I had extra time in the machine shop after I finished the brass head hammer, so I decided to make a second one as a gift for a family member. I finished the second hammer in less than half the time and learned a lot. The aluminum head is significantly lighter than the brass head. It is a cool comparison when picking up the two.